The Royal Academy of Police Message
The Academy believes in efficiency and professionalism in performance and in developing police, law, social and other human sciences within the framework of the values and principles derived form Isl...
For your safety and other's safetyCaricature Archives >>
Ghana waterfall: Many dead in Kintampo freak tree accident
Up to 20 people have died and many have been injured after a large tree fell on them at a popular waterfall spot in Kintampo, Ghana.
They were swimming during a storm when the freak accident happened, emergency officials said.
The tree had seemingly been brought down by the storm.
Ghana National Fire Service spokesman Prince Billy Anaglate said the incident happened at the Kintampo waterfalls in the Brong-Ahafo region.
A combined team of police and fire service personnel attended the accident site, in a bid to rescue those trapped by the tree.
"A huge tree fell at the top when the rains began and crashed the revellers," an eyewitness told Ghana's Starr News.
"Most of them are students of the Wenchi Senior High School. Others are tourists. We are trying to save those who are trapped by cutting the trees with chainsaws."
Fire Service spokesman Mr Anaglate told AFP that 18 students had died at the scene, while two others died in hospital.
He said 11 people were receiving treatment, including one of the school administrators in charge of the trip.
Other reports put the number of injured at over 20. They are being treated at the Kintampo Municipal hospital.
"We extend our condolences to the families of the dead and pray for the injured," Ghana's tourism minister Catherine Abelema Afeku said in a statement.
- US lawmaker pledges to defend rights of Muslim Americans
- North Korea detains US citizen
- Maldives blogger stabbed to death
- North Korea 'ready to sink' US aircraft carrier Vinson
- Boy aged 12 drives himself 1,300km across Australia
- American monitor in Ukraine dies in explosion
- North Korea Says Ready To Bring Down Donald Trump's 'Armada'
- 6-Year-Old Stuck 30 Feet Deep In Karnataka Borewell, Rescue Operations On
- Pakistani Man Eats Leaves For 25 Years, Never Falls Ill: Report
- Surgeon General Is Removed By Trump Administration, Replaced By Deputy For Now